Pan fried lemon sole with samphire and parsley butter

10 Aug

Samphire is everywhere at the moment. I had it with fish at three different restaurants last week and I can’t get enough if it. So when I was getting my fish from the Waitrose fish counter at the weekend, I was very happy to see a pack of the delicious green edible plant sat next to the fish. I chose two filets of lemon sole and grabbed a pack and a lemon to go with it.

I was very looking forward to my Monday evening dinner but was left slightly disappointed with the samphire. I followed the cooking instructions on the pack but the stalks were quite hard and a small amount was inedible. Only a very small amount though so the meal was not ruined. I can’t expect cooking with a new ingredient to be perfect first time, so as with most things, practice makes perfect!

Ingredients

2 skin on lemon sole fillets
1 garlic clove
1 red chilli
2 knobs of butter
4 tsp fresh or or frozen parsley
90g samphire
Salt and black pepper to season
Juice of half a lemon

Method

1. Make the parsley, garlic and chilli butter by placing into a food processor and blitzing until smooth. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Preheat a pan on a medium heat for the fish – season the skin of the fish with salt and black pepper.
5. Melt a knob of butter in another pan and place the samphire in to wilt. Cook on a medium heat for 4 minutes, or until soft. You still want a little bit of a crunch.
6. As soon as the samphire is in the pan, place the fish skin side down into the other hot pan and season with black pepper. Cook for around three minutes, add the parsley butter and a squeeze of lemon and flip the fish over to cook on the flesh side for 30 seconds.
7. Place the samphire on the plate and top with the fish.
8. Serve with buttered potatoes and seasonal veg – yum!

About these ads

7 Responses to “Pan fried lemon sole with samphire and parsley butter”

1. glutenfreezen September 22, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

What a beautiful dish! Had to Google Samphire, had never heard of it. Sounds delicious and I can just imagine that it went perfectly with the fish. :)

• Food for Think September 23, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Thank you very much. It really does go perfectly – especially since it is a sea vegetable! Hope you manage to find some and cook with it.

Sarah

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide September 28, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

I love how simple and fresh this is!

3. The Knife and Steel February 22, 2012 at 9:10 am #

I love samphire. The texture and briny-ness of it is fantastic! Thanks for the post!

• Food for Think February 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm #

Me too – just love it!

4. danielawhiteimages August 20, 2012 at 11:00 am #

I use it and it’s delicious a mix between asparagus and fine green beans. Do soak it in clear cold water thought as it can be quite salty. I steam it and then toss it with olive oil and lemon juice

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Malmaison London – hotel and brasserie « Food For Think - August 24, 2011

[...] become very fashionable of late – I have had it a few times at restaurants recently and even cooked with it at home. The samphire that came with the sea bream at Malmaison was slightly too salty. It’s a sea [...]